Costume jewelry is a cheap and chic way to update the wardrobe for new seasons. I often find jewelry I like in stores but there’s always something off. Sometimes the necklace is too short, too long, not the right size…hence nifty jewelry alteration skills come in handy. Here’s an easy way to shorten a chain base necklace. This one in particular I shortened, but if you wanted to lengthen a necklace, instead of cutting you would be adding a similar chain or replacing it all together.
What you’ll need:
- necklace (this one in particular is from Dynamite)
- wire cutters
- Put on the necklace to see where it falls on your neckline
- Adjust the length of your necklace by pulling on the back until you have it at your preferred length, mark this spot, just used by fingers by pinching the back
- Take your cutters and cute the chain where you marked the new length
- Take the extension chain, clasp and jump rings off of the removed chain pieces and attach it back onto your necklace