Pearl embellishments seem to be everywhere this year, playing off of geometric shapes and minimalistic style. They influtrated blogger closets and must-have lists with the Miu Miu and the Zara pearl slides, and show no signs of stopping as pearl embellished jeans and denim jackets are also quite popular this season. Wanting to join in on this trend, I decided to recreate the Zara slides as the original ones from Zara did not fit me and were quite pricey for something that screamed DIY. As always if there’s a way to make it for cheap and personalize it to be unique to me, I’m all over it. Read on to see how you can recreate these pearl slides to rock for the rest of summer!
TIME | 3+ hours
COST | $$
DIFFICULTY | easy-moderate
What you’ll need:
- sandals or slides (mine are from Aldo)
- pearls in assorted sizes: 10mm, 7mm and 5mm
- needle & thread
- iridescent or silver seed beads
- elastic or ribbon that is the same width as your sandal straps
- Working on one sandal at a time, measure out the elastic or ribbon to be the length of the straps plus a little bit extra, you will be trimming it after.
- Layout your pearls so that they have a random look to them. TIP: Start with the largest pearls then work down from there to maximize the space
- Take you needle and thread and start the labourous task of sewing each pearl into place. Thread on the pearl, then the seed bead, double back into the pearl and into the elastic so that the pearl it’s up straight and the seed bead sits on top of it. Repeat for all pearl beads on the strap. TIP: take any excess thread and go over and of the pearls for extra security.
- Tie off any loose threads and trim each pearl embellished strap to fit.
- Repeat for the other sandal steps 1-4.
- Apply E6000 to glue the pearl embellished straps to the sandals making sure you glue the correct straps in order and on the proper sandal. Let it dry over night.
As always, if you happen to recreate these please share and use the hashtag #DECONSTRUT so I can see all your creations! Happy DIY-ing!