This cowl neck top was the reason I decided to revisit TikTok and because you guys asked for an in-depth tutorial, here it is! Sharing my quick and easy method of making an open back cowl neck top that will be sure to make its way into your closet as a favourite! If you’re curious as to the TikTok I’m referring to be sure to click here!
Be sure to watch the Youtube video for a little surprise!
TIME | 1 hour
COST | $
DIFFICULTY | Easy
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 – 3/4 yard of satin fabric
- matching thread
- sewing machine
- measuring tape
- strap turner (optional)
*** This pattern is to be cut on the bias of the fabric. Be sure to add extra to the measurements below for seam allowance.
Measurement A: Cowl length, measure how much drape you would like from where your straps would lay on your chest. The length I used was 14″.
Measurement B: Length of the top, I used 9 1/2 inches for a cropped length.
Measurement C: Distance around your body, I used a measurement of 22″.
*Straps not included in pattern drawing. Strap lengths 2 x 22″ for halter ties, 4 x 17″ for back ties.
- Fold in the diagonal sides and the bottom hem 1/4 inch and straight stitch.
- Iron on the dotted line of the pattern for the cowl.
- Hem the shortest topmost edge with a zigzag stitch.
- Finish hemming the diagonal sides by folding them over one more time and stitching with a straight stitch.
- Finish hemming the bottom of the top with a 3/4″ fold and stitch with a straight stitch.
- Hem the vertical sides the same way the diagonal edges were treated in step 1 and 4.
- Create the straps on the bias of the fabric. Option to cut 1″ strips and sew or to sew on the bias then cut as a secondary step. Sew with a stitch length of 2 3mm away from the folded edge.
- Trim away excess seam allowance to match the 3mm width of the strap.
- Using the strap turner, carefully flip all straps right side out.
- Sew straps to the top of each corner, and hand finish the ends as well.
- Press everything one more time with an iron and get creative with how to wear your new DIY cowl neck top!